Click "Citing Sources" Tab
Examples have been posted under the "Citing Sources" tab for museum objects and artwork.
Online Databases and Indexes
- ARTstor : ARTstor is a digital library of images (including art, architecture and archeology) with descriptive data. Tools alow for compiling image groups for use by faculty and students (Must create a login to save to image groups)
- Academic Search Complete : A good database for finding scholarly articles on all subjects, including humanities and theater
- Oxford Art Online: Created by Oxford University, this database provides access Grove Art Online, the Oxford Companion to Western Art, Encyclopedia of Aesthetics, and the Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art terms.
- Humanities Full Text (Wilson) : Full text database covering well known and highly specialized humanities journals.
- Humanities and Social Sciences Retrospective (Wilson) : Index to older humanities journals from 1907-1984.
- INTER-PLAY : Index of play citations created by Portland State Library. Users may search by author, title or source.
- JSTOR : Complete text scholarly articles in all subjects, including the Humanities.
- Literature Resource Center : Contains both primary and secondary sources including literary criticism and reviews.
- MLA International Bibliography : This massive database covers all aspects of language and literature, including theater.
- Project Muse : Full text database containing over 350 core humanities journals.
- Women's Wear Daily Archive : A comprehensive archive of Women’s Wear Daily, from the first issue in 1910 to material from within the last twelve months, reproduced in high-resolution images. Every page, article, advertisement and cover has been included, with searchable text and indexing. The Women’s Wear Daily Archive preserves one of the fashion industry's most influential reads. Key moments in the history of the industry, as well as major designers, brands, retailers and advertisers are all covered in this publication of record.
- The Vogue Archive : A complete searchable archive of American Vogue, from the first issue in 1892 to the current month, reproduced in high-resolution color page images. Every page, advertisement, cover and fold-out has been included, with rich indexing enabling you to find images by garment type, designer and brand names. The Vogue Archive preserves the work of the world's greatest fashion designers, stylists and photographers and is a unique record of American and international fashion, culture and society from the dawn of the modern era to the present day.
AMERICA: HISTORY AND LIFE
Contains articles, book reviews, and select dissertations, from over 2000 scholarly and professional journals in History since 1964. Topics range from culture to politics to pre-historical sites. Covers United States and Canadian historical topics from pre-history to the present.
Contains articles and book announcements from over 2000 scholarly and professional journals in History. Contains articles published since 1964 on a wide variety of international topics since 1450.
WEB OF SCIENCE
Electronic version of the Arts & Humanities Citation Index, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Science Citation Index. Covers only the top journals of the included fields. Contains book reviews. Access to 1966.
WILSON PERIODICAL INDEXES
H. W. Wilson Co. publishes several indexes and databases of interest including: Humanities, Social Sciences, Book Review Digest, for scholarly materials, and the Reader’s Guide to Periodical Literature for general interest topics. All Wilson databases can be searched individually or in combination (some browsers require the user to scroll down for all options). Electronic access for most Wilson resources only goes back to the 1980s. However, the "Reader's Guide Retrospective" and "Humanities and Social Sciences Retrospective" both index popular and scholarly periodicals from the late 19th century and offer excellent access to primary source material for most of the 20th century. NOTE: Please be aware that this link goes to the Wilson OmniFile as the default search. To search other Wilson indexes, de-select the OmniFile and select the desired resource(s).
ITER: GATEWAY TO THE MIDDLE AGES AND THE RENAISSANCE
Scholarly literature in Medieval and Renaissance history.
BREPOLIS MEDIEVAL BIBLIOGRAPHIES
Scholarly literature on Medieval topics. This resource includes access to Brepol's International Medieval Bibliography - Online (IMB), Bibliographie de Civilisation Médiévale, and International Directory of Medievalists. A partial print version of the IMB is available in the Reference Department.
- PERFORMANCE HISTORY SEARCH
Carnegie Hall is pleased to make its performance archive available directly to the public for online search for the first time. This exhaustively researched database contains records of 50,000 events, both musical and non-musical, that occurred in the public performance spaces of Carnegie Hall from its opening in 1891 to present. As of today, records spanning the period between 1891 and 1941 are now publicly available with more than 12,500 events covered. Additional data will be released on a regular basis.