Selected Print Atlases
Atlases provide much more information than just maps. Many include informative essays, chronologies, demographic information, glossaries, and bibliographies.
Full color maps covering from the Old Testament Period to the Modern Church. Maps are themed to major events in the Bible and Jewish and Christian history. Includes explanatory text for every map and a gazetteer.
Cultural Atlas of Mesopotamia and the Ancient Near East
Provides geography, history, and archaeological and anthropological discussion of the Near East from the Neolithic to the dawn of Hellenism (330 BCE).
Historical study of Jerusalem from prior to existence to 2000 CE. Contains essays, maps, photos, and illustrations of archaeological evidence. Also includes an extensive bibliography.
Historical Atlas of Ancient Mesopotamia
Divides coverage my individual cultural groups or ruling empires, beginning in the Neolithic Period and ending with the rise of Islam.
Describes in text and illustrates through thematic maps the worlds major (and some minor) religious movements.
An illustrated history of Israel, focusing primarily on the modern period. Contains biographies and an almanac.
Oxford Bible Atlas (online)
Contains annotated maps for Old and New Testament Biblical locations and time periods (warning: often takes time to load).
Welcome to the Religious Studies Subject Guide. Use the tabs above to navigate the guide. Please do not hesitate to email Stephen Bales at email@example.com if you have questions or need help locating information
Selected Online Reference Sources
- Blackwell Encyclopedia of Modern Christian Thought : Collects major essays on the Christian thought, as well as articles dealing with major philosophical movements which have had an effect on the development of Christian thought. Provides a glossary of theological terms.
- Cults in America: A Reference Handbook : Discusses controversial religious groups, providing statistics, legal information, and a chronology.
- Encyclopedia of American Religions : Provides information about American religious groups of 2000 or more members.
- Foundations of Buddhism : Outlines the foundation, history, basic tenets, cosmology, and forms of Buddhism.
- Handbook of Ancient Religions : Analysis of ancient religions including Paleolithic, Egyptian, ancient Ugarit, Mesopotamia, Hebrew, Greek and Roman, ancient Europe, Indus Valley, ancient China, and Aztec and Inca.
- The Qur'an: An Encyclopedia : Encyclopedia containing entries dealing with the Qur'an. Also provides lists of commentaries on the Qur'an, translations of the Qur'an, and other bibliographies dealing with various subjects and the Qur'an (e.g., gender). Contains indexes by passages, names, and subjects.
- Routledge Dictionary of Judaism : Contains entries for Jewish concepts, personalities, events and places, etc. Does not contain an index, but provides cross-references with internal links.
- Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy : Contains over 2000 articles on philsophy, including the philosophy of religion, religion and morality, religion and science, etc. Also includes subject guides for Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism (As well as subject guides by world philosophies and historical periods).
Selected Web Resources
Internet Sacred Text Archive
A site that provides a plethora of online primary texts from many religious traditions.
Intute is a free online service providing you with access to the very best Web resources for education and research. The service is created by a network of UK universities and partners. Subject specialists select and evaluate the websites in our database and write high quality descriptions of the resources. The database contains 120825 records
Religion, Religions, Religious Studies
A web gateway run by the University of Florida that links to a wide variety of websites that address numerous religious traditions, religious studies programs, religion and modernity, as well as reference sources.
The American Academy of Religion
The American Academy of Religion's mission is to promote such reflection through excellence in scholarship and teaching in the field of religion. The Academy is dedicated to furthering knowledge of religion and religious institutions in all their forms and manifestations.
Chat With Us
Regular Chat Hours
|Mon - Thu
||10:00 am - 10:00 pm|
||10:00 am - 6:00 pm|
|Sat||2:00 pm - 6:00 pm|
|Sun||2:00 pm - 10:00 pm|