Chat With Us
Regular Chat Hours
|Mon - Thu
||10:00 am - 10:00 pm|
||10:00 am - 6:00 pm|
|Sat||2:00 pm - 6:00 pm|
|Sun||2:00 pm - 10:00 pm|
Tips for Searching News Aggregators
Newspaper aggregators like Lexis Nexis and Factiva contain enormous amounts of information. Because of their size, simple keyword searches often bring back too many results, or many results that are not relevant. To counter this, aggregators often provide users with sophisticated search tools like proximity operators. Proximity operators are operators that allow the searcher to specify the distance between keywords within a document. By using these operators, searchers are able to retrieve more concise and relevant sets of records. Some common operators include:
(W) or () retrieves terms adjacent to each other and in the exact order specified
(nW) n is the number of words that should separate the terms in the order specified.
- (N) retrieves terms adjacent to each other but in any order.
(nN) n is the # of words that should separate the terms in either order.
The exact syntax used for proximity operators often varies by database, so be sure to look at the database's “help” screen for additional information.
News aggregators collect syndicated news content from around the world. Typically these aggregators provide current news (usually within the last day or week) as well as a backfile reaching into the 20 or 30 years. Aggregators usually provide sophisticated tools for proximity searching, so check the databases help files if you have trouble finding information or narrowing your search.
- ABI/Inform Global : Contains US and foreign newspapers oriented towards business.
- Access World News Collection : Collection of local, regional, and national newspapers from across the globe. Provides an easy to use search interface.
- Alternative Press Index (1991+) and Alternative Press Index Archive (1969-1990) : Indexes (no full text) to alternative, left wing, and radical newspapers and magazines.
- Campus Research (Westlaw) : Contains thousands of newspapers and news broadcast transcripts.
- Factiva : Offers flexible searching of a collection of news and business information from over 14,000 sources from more than 150 countries. This collection includes the Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Dow Jones and Reuters news wires, and the Associated Press.
- Lexis Academic : Options of searching searches selected major U.S. newspapers and wire services; “News All” searches articles from more U.S. papers; “Non-U.S. Newspapers” covers English language sources only; “Non-English Language News” covers papers in Spanish, French, Dutch, Italian, German and Portuguese.
- Newspaper Source (EBSCO) : Recent news articles and reports from 28 major national US newspapers and an additional 260 regional newspapers. The date coverage varies by newspaper, but generally includes reports from the last 5-10 years. It also includes tv and radio transcripts from major providers such as ABC, CBS, and CNN news.
- ProQuest Digital Microfilm : Contains recent editions of American Banker, Barron's, Houston Chronicle, LA Times, NYT Late Edition, Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Post. This system replicates microfilm, so it it is only searchable by date and page.
- Texas Reference Center : This Ebsco database collects various Texas newspapers and magazines from the last ten years
- World News Connection : Source for international coverage of topics by non-US media sources. Searchable by topic, region and headlines. Provided by the National Technical Information Service (NTIS), based on monitoring & analysis by the Foreign Broadcast Information Service (FBIS). Coverage from the late 1990s to the present.
Current News on the Web
- All Africa : This search engine provides subscribers with a powerful research tool for exploring the AllAfrica story archive, which contains over a million articles from 100 news publications throughout Africa and from several hundred other sources, including governments, non-governmental organizations and other newsmakers, inside and outside of Africa.
- Google News : Searches last month of English language newspaper websites, many of which provide free access to papers.
- Internet Public Library: Newspapers : Contains links to US and international papers. Also contains links to online magazines, including news magazines .
- Newseum Front Pages : Images of newspaper front pages from across the world
- Newslink : Massive collection online news. Also includes links to television news sites.
- Newspapermap.com : This site provides an interactive map that links to newspapers across the world. Provides direct links online versions of the international papers.
- Onlinenewspapers.com : Organized by geographical region, this directory for online newspapers provides links to thousands of sites from around the world.
- SiloBreaker : Free online news search service that includes several useful analytical tools
- Yahoo! News : News page provides latest news, trending subjects, and a "news search" box