What is EBPH?
"the conscientious, explicit, and judicious use of current best evidence in making decisions about the care of communities and populations in the domain of health protection, disase prevention, health maintenance, and improvement" from Jenicek M. Epidemiology, evidenced-based medicine, and evidence-based public health. J Epidemiology. Dec 1997;7(4):187-197
Most Used EBPH Resources
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ): reviews, data, surveys, and more
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Cochrane Collaboration: international organization that publishes reviews on variety of medical and public health topics
- Community Guide: Guide to Community Preventive Services
- Health Evidence: health promotion reviews
- Healthy People
- National Guidelines Clearinghouse: guidelines on variety of conditions
- PH Partners: links on public health topics, news, guidelines, and more
- Pubmed: find reviews, articles, and more (search by Healthy People focus areas)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
Articles/Reports on EBPH
- Brownson, R. C., Fielding, J. E., & Maylahn, C. M. (2009). Evidence-based public health: a fundamental concept for public health practice Annual Review of Public Health, 30, 175-201. doi:10.1146/annurev.publhealth.031308.100134
- Gillespie, K. N. (2008). Evidence-based public health benefits communities. Health Progress (Saint Louis, Mo.), 89(2), 6-7.
- Potter MA, Burdine J, Goldman L, Olson D, Silver GB,
Smith LU, Villanueva AM, & Wright K. (2009). Demonstrating
excellence in the scholarship of practice-based service for public
health. Association of School of Public Health.
- Renfrew, M. J., Dyson, L., Herbert, G., McFadden, A., McCormick, F., Thomas, J., & Spiby, H. (2008). Developing evidence-based recommendations in public health – incorporating the views of practitioners, service users and user representatives. Health Expectations, 11(1), 3-15. doi:10.1111/j.1369-7625.2007.00471.x
- Robeson, P., Dobbins, M., DeCorby, K., & Tirilis, D. (2010). Facilitating access to pre-processed research evidence in public health BMC Public Health, 10, 95. doi:10.1186/1471-2458-10-95
- Rychetnik, L., Hawe, P., Waters, E., Barratt, A., & Frommer, M. (2004). A glossary for evidence based public health Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 58(7), 538-545. doi:10.1136/jech.2003.011585
- Slawson, D. C., & Reed, S. W. (2009). Finding high-quality review articles American Family Physician, 79(10), 875-877.
Medical Sciences Library