International Government Information
- Embassy World -Directory & Search Engine Of The World's Embassies & Consulates
- Library of Congress Country Studies - Includes detailed descriptions and analysis of 101 countries of the world. Each includes discussion of the historical setting as well as the social, economic, political, and national security systems and institutions.
- Background Notes - Not as detailed as Library of Congress Country Studies, but not as brief as the CIA World Factbook. Each report includes sections on: geography, people, history, government and political conditions, economy, general foreign relations, U.S. relations with the country, and travel and business information.
- CIA World Factbook - Brief descriptions of every country in the world. Entries include geography, people, government, economy, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues.
- NationMaster - Users can generate graphs based on CIA World Factbook data and other data sources.
- DIGMAP - DIGMAP is a service for access to old maps of historical significance from all across Europe and spanning several centuries.
- European Archive - The European Archive is a digital library of cultural artifacts in digital form.
- Eurodocs. Primary historical documents from Western Europe. Focus on key historical events within the respective countries, including politic, economics, and social and cultural history.
International Organization Links
United Nations System chart showing various bodies, programs, commissions and departments.
UNdata - portal to statistics from 34 databases where you can compare county level data.
Monthly Bulletin of Statistics Online - The Monthly Bulletin of Statistics Online presents current economic and social statistics for more than 200 countries and territories of the world. It contains 55 tables, comprising over 100 indicators, of monthly, quarterly and annual data.
AccessUN - Use this online index to access UN documents through 2010 from the Evans UN microfiche collection by Document Number. Some full text online. Includes Official Records, draft resolutions, meeting records and more.
UN System of Organizations - an alphabetic index of websites of the United Nations System of Organizations, including joint initiatives and special projects which exist to address specific, substantive areas of interest.
United Nations cyberschoolbus - compare United Nation member data
UNBISnet - The coverage of UNBISnet is from 1979 onward, however, older documents are being added to the catalogue on a regular basis as a result of retrospective conversion. UNBISnet also provides instant access to a growing number of full text resources in the six official languages of the UN (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish), including resolutions adopted by the General Assembly, the Economic and Social Council and the Security Council from 1946 onward.
EUR-Lex - provides free access to European Union Law.
Eurostat - Find some free information here on labor, population, and other statistics. Eurostat is the European Union's statistical service.
North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)Headquartered in Brussels, NATO has both civil and military organizations and agencies between the United States and various countries of Europe.
U.S. Department of State The Department of State manages the executive side of our international relations. One division of interest is the Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs where you can find information on individual countries World Leaders The CIA publishes the online directory of Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members of Foreign Governments regularly. The directory is intended to be used as a reference aid and includes many governments of the world, some of them not officially recognized by the United States.
U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations This site includes hearings, press releases, and legislation regarding foreign relations.
House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs Like its Senate counterpart, this site has hearings, legislation, and press releases.
NIST Global Standards - The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in the Commerce department provides information on international Standards.Export.gov This site covers Western Europe and provides tariff rates and other information.
Government Information Librarian
Foreign Relations of the United States FRUS
The Foreign Relations of the United States series is the primary source for diplomatic correspondance and the official documentary historical record of major U.S. foreign policy decisions and significant diplomatic activity. The series, began in 1861 and now comprises more than 450 individual volumes. The volumes published over the last two decades increasingly contain declassified records from all the foreign affairs agencies.